Intellectual property is an essential tool in creating and protecting valuable business assets. Whether you are interested in acquiring, registering or protecting and enforcing an IP right, our firm has the expertise to meet your needs. Our commercially aware staff will ensure a cost-effective and value-driven service. Our clients are kept informed and are advised on a step-by-step basis throughout the entire process.
Over the years, large domestic enterprises, SMEs, individuals and entrepreneurs have chosen our firm to guide them through the ever-changing currents of the intellectual property field.
Our Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department has been involved in several high-profile IP right infringement cases between domestic and multi-national businesses and has gathered valuable experience in handling IP disputes in the courtroom. We will do what is necessary to ensure that the client’s IP rights are adequately protected and compensation is recovered for any losses caused by the infringement. Our lawyers can file a claim for infringement of the client’s right IP rights, defend a claim for alleged infringement and apply for an injunction preventing further commercial exploitation of an infringed IP right.
Marios Hartsiotis & Co LLC offers IP legal services across the entire spectrum of this challenging area of practice including:
- Acquisition of IP rights
- Domestic and International Registration of IP rights
- Franchising and Licencing
- Infringement Claims and Passing Off Actions
- Renewal of IP rights
- Advice on the protection of IP rights and their commercial use
- Advice on IP tax aspects
- Intellectual Property Litigation and Enforcement of IP rights
Cyprus IP tax regime highlights:
- Registrable IP rights may benefit from IP tax regime without having been registered in Cyprus.
- Application of EU Directives and Regulations relevant to the registration and protection of IP rights.
- Cyprus is a signatory state to the international IP conventions including:
- European Community Trademarks
- Convention establishing WIPO (Word Intellectual Property Organisation)
- The “Madrid Agreement” and the Protocol to the Agreement
- Patent Cooperation Treaty
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works
- Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property
- Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of
- Phonograms and Broadcasting Organisations
- Trademark Law Treaty
- WIPO Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances
- 80% of worldwide royalty income generated from IP rights owned by Cypriot companies (net of any direct expenses) is exempt from corporate income tax.
- 80% of profit generated from the disposal of IP owned by Cypriot companies (net of any direct expenses) is exempt from corporate income tax.
- Expenditure of capital nature for the acquisition or development of IP Is claimed as a tax deduction in the year in which it was incurred and the immediate four following years in a row.
- All the above exemptions are also available for IP rights acquired or developed before January 2012.